Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Game Discussion > Crafting

Crafting Use this forum to discuss everything related to crafting! Post guides, ask questions, seek help!

Thread Closed
Old 18-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crafting - should I?

Hello there,

I'm very new to LOTRO, in that I've only been playing a couple of weeks, except for a month back in 09. I'm levelling a guardian and enjoying it but I'm wondering about vocations.

I'd like to take cooking and farming (yeoman) as, genuinely, I enjoy these kind of things as an offset to hitting orcs. But I'd like a broader view - would I serve myself better in the long run with something like Armoursmith? Or is it more realistic to say that gear comes from drops, crafted isn't so important?

I should like to also say that, yes, I do play Warcraft and in that game, buff food is quite an important item to have. I wonder how much that applies here?

Many thanks.

Old 18-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

On lower levels the crafted gear is better than drops.
But food stays important.

But one could always switch later on in the game (e.g. start out as armourer and when the drop-gears are better switch over to yeoman)

Best of all: create 7 characters to cover all proffesions. But that means that you have to figure out which to level and which not (so high) (e.g. yeoman).
Or do as I do: level all.

Old 18-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Font of Wisdom, 2011

You could start with a tinker. You would have a cook and jeweller, which both offer nice income. They create a new toon to be a farmer as you can reach supreme master farmer without levelling the toon, and this would help your cook

Old 19-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

As cossieuk says, Tinker is the best choice for a single/first character. You can mine ore whilst you play, make your own jewellery and make food. Crafted armour is nice for levelling, but usually by the time you master a tier (and can create the good gear) you've outlevelled the items you can make. At endgame you won't be using much if any crafted armour, but crafted jewellery is still the best in alot of cases, and food is always useful.

Also, join the guild (jeweller or cook is up to you.. I would go for jeweller personally, as then you don't have to gather one-shot recipes to make the best jewellery) as soon as you open expert tier. It takes a while to make enough items to get your rep to kindred, so you want to start early, and also the guild crests are very efficient xp-per-material wise.

Old 22-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Abracadabra ! I make this thread live again !

I just created a hobbit guardian (there must have some in the Shire too !) and I'm really hesitating.
Should I become:
- an Armourer (the crafted armours are they so good now or can I be a quite good guardian with a less powerful armour ?) or
- a Yeoman (nice buffs and a hobbit stomach is never empty !)

Thanks for you to answer my question. (excuse my English if I made mistakes, I'm a French player)

Old 25-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeoman is best i think, the crafted armour is not better than the loot... You can earn more money with a Cook!

Old 26-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm making my question more difficult but what about tinker ? You can make nice jewels (and the tinker guild is nice imo) and if you know a farmer, you can make some food, don't you ?

And historian ?

Last edited by Vichado; 26-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Old 29-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichado View Post
I'm making my question more difficult but what about tinker ? You can make nice jewels (and the tinker guild is nice imo) and if you know a farmer, you can make some food, don't you ?

And historian ?
Tinkers make jewellery, yes. But the also make hope tokens. And those can provide you with a nice steady income. These hope tokens (Edhelharn tokens) are used mainly in raids.
Tinker also has the cook profession and you need to, indeed, know a farmer to level that part. However, foods are also used in darn near every instance this game holds. So cook could be a second source of steady income.

Historian consists of Scholar, Farmer and Tailor. It is perhaps the vocation that is hardest top level. It is mainly because it holds Scholar. Scholar materials are rather hard to find. To level scholar, you can spent a good portion of your playing time wandering around the various ruins in middle-earth scrounging for scholar items. Luckily, you can also level scholar on dyes and potions. It may be hard to level, but it is also the profession that produces the most consumables; athelas and celebrant potions, battle and warding lore scrolls and off course the dyes to name a few.

For the tailor part of the historian vocation you need to rely on a woodsman or explorer to boil the hides you collect into leather. But it's not overly hard to level. And farming is extremely easy to level, it might just cost you a bundle of cash.

Old 29-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

The last poster isn't quite correct as a Historian contains Scholar, Farmer and Weaponsmith not Tailor.
If you wanted 2 toons then a Historian and a Tinker are a good pair. The historian can farm for the tinker to cook and the tinker collect ore for the historian to make weapons. Plus you will be well supplied with consumables - food, pots, hope tokens, scholar has buff scrolls and some class specific consumables as well bow chants, fervour potions etc.

Old 29-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_crumpet View Post
The last poster isn't quite correct as a Historian contains Scholar, Farmer and Weaponsmith not Tailor.
Yeah, you are correct. I tried to make it more useful then it is, because we all know that weaponsmith became even more useless after the new LI system.

Thread Closed