Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Game Service Forums > Game Service News and Announcements

Game Service News and Announcements Get up to the minute news and information regarding the game service.

Thread Closed
Old 21-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirak >
Eve has 30 min per day, which is much better than several hours once per week. I really want to know what happens during these hours!?
Not sure if you played EVE - I still do. To start, the downtimes are not 30 minutes but between 45 and 1h (occasionaly more or less). Secondly, that game's engine is so different from LOTRO's that you really cannot compare these two.

The question is interesting though, maybe a Dev will care explaining the technical details to us some day.

Quote:
Indeed, Christmas Eve itself is also not that special for the vast majority of us who will be working that day like any other!
In my office about half of the team will be absent on the 23'rd. Whether you take a day or not you have to admit that statistically more people ought to take one on this day than "17 days before boxing day".

Is a change of the maintenance day that much of an annoyance it is evern worth a distinc topic?

Last edited by Gburzak; 21-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Old 21-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gburzak View Post
Is a change of the maintenance day that much of an annoyance it is evern worth a distinc topic?
Probably not, however in service industries companies usually try to accommodate their customers' needs before their own and if there's a scheduled activity if they're concerned about their customers they usually try to stick to it .. whereas Codemasters seem quite happy to move it around to suit themselves much of the time.

Old 22-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraggy >
...no reason for Codemasters staff to be any different from me, my colleagues or any of the other millions like us who will be in work on Thursday as usual.

Indeed, Christmas Eve itself is also not that special for the vast majority of us who will be working that day like any other!
which makes the point kinda moot, since whoever is working on thursday daytime will most likely be working on wednesday daytime as well...

Old 22-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fathomer of Riddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraggy >
We're talking about Christmas Eve Eve, ie. 23rd, here and that isn't special at all, no reason for Codemasters staff to be any different from me, my colleagues or any of the other millions like us who will be in work on Thursday as usual.

Oh good, your working, then you will not mind there being maintence

Old 22-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gburzak >
The day when you post something as bright as the above is just about as special as yourself.

You don't have to celebrate Christmas. But if you fail to understand that a day before it people may have other things to do (cooking? shopping? driving to your family in another part of the country?) then there is something seriously wrong about you.
I do celebrate christmas and I understand that folks might have some preparations to do but since it's for many people also a normal working / business day they might as well do something while being at work? Since the maintenance is usually finished relatively early in the day they could even take the rest of the day off and still have that extra time?
Of course at my company there's also several folks off this period, mainly housewives with children and all that but I for example have to work a full normal business day on the 24th and 31st and don't have any days off in between (except 25th / 26th and on 1st of Jan. which are bank holidays here but unluckily are in the week-end this year).
It's also what I've been used to ever since I'm working so it's common to me.
The day before is no excuse nor special, the day itself is.

And I btw don't care they moved it, was just replying to that post of Lord Vorontur.

Last edited by Holskabard; 22-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Old 22-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlosterKatt View Post
Oh good, your working, then you will not mind there being maintence
That is correct, which is why I wasn't one of those complaining, I was merely observing the reality of Codemaster's concern [or lack thereof] for their customers when it comes to disrupting the service at short notice and for no explained reason, other than it suited them.

I was also mocking the fact that this game needs its weekly doses of downtime while other games exhibit the ability to run weeks on end without even a reboot: even Warcraft manages to get away with 'rolling reboots' at times instead of full-blown multi-hour shutdowns every week.

Last edited by Kraggy; 22-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Old 22-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newbie's Hero, 2010

Quote:
Eve has 30 min per day, which is much better than several hours once per week.
Errr, how is that better? Not only does it sum up to several hours per week as well, I also suppose it affects more players. Rather than the few who got off on Thursday mornings (or Wednesday in this case).

Quote:
I really want to know what happens during these hours!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine >
The reason we have them once per week is to do essential tasks such as restart the services, apply patches where needed. Sometimes we adjust hardware and sometimes we need to do other techy stuff that I don't understand. Every week however a full QA test is required before we bring them back online which follows a check list of essential tests to be performed. Those in themselves last for a good portion of that down time. Plus, there are 11 servers all to be done and attended to.

I'm sure you regularly perform virus scans and backups on your home PC and are aware of how long that takes you and you'll have a much more simple configuration than these beasts that our games run on.

Prevention is better than cure and all that

Thread Closed