Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Game Discussion > Monsterplay (Player vs. Player Combat)

Monsterplay (Player vs. Player Combat) Freeps and Creeps, or innocent bystanders, please use this forum for ALL discussions pertaining to PvP, thank you.

Thread Closed
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #61 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboks >
Well! That is interesting! Funny to see how someone has the polar opposite opinion. Which also makes conversation so much more fun.

I personally just think that some skills in lotro are just too powerful. On Vanyar, if I fought a hunter, I would not start from stealth for example. Also, Reavers are not allowed to 'exectue' as they call it. Which is Dev. Strike. I could hardly beat a Guard in spars regardless of some of there skills. If they double pledge and man heal, its literally impossible. Some skills just have to stay out for me. We will just have to agree to disagree
Yaaay, you can't start in stealth? And not dev strikes? Can rks do ec, which is an extremely op skill? Who decides what skills are okay to use? Won't everyone have his own opinion about this and therefore cause frequent quarrels when you spar with ppl with different opinions? Or do you have like a list of okay skills to use?

Well, for us, it's all about simulating a real fight and that includes all kinds of skills. However, racials are USUALLY avoided, also because the cd is very long. ^^

I've read how this and that class beats that and this class on Vanyar in spars, but if these are the rules, it would be wrong to judge which class is stronger by spars, because they don't fight to their full potensial. It would take a normal fight to do that, where all skills are available.

And that's probably why I reacted when someone said that many ppl had beaten the best tanks, because that's just not possible when the tank has his cds ready.


Personally, I don't spar on my warg because I lose my advantage, the element of surprise. Also, I don't like dying if I can avoid it, and I can't escape in a spar.


I'd be pretty annoyed at spar rules such as Vanyar's, so I'm glad I'm on Gilrain. You know anything about other servers?
 
Old 15-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Woadsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 386
Default

Awesome Murd

The Way of the Exploding Paw

may i call you ... sifu



Definately deserves a stickie
 
Old 17-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mighty England
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidorian View Post
Yaaay, you can't start in stealth? And not dev strikes? Can rks do ec, which is an extremely op skill? Who decides what skills are okay to use? Won't everyone have his own opinion about this and therefore cause frequent quarrels when you spar with ppl with different opinions? Or do you have like a list of okay skills to use?

Well, for us, it's all about simulating a real fight and that includes all kinds of skills. However, racials are USUALLY avoided, also because the cd is very long. ^^

I've read how this and that class beats that and this class on Vanyar in spars, but if these are the rules, it would be wrong to judge which class is stronger by spars, because they don't fight to their full potensial. It would take a normal fight to do that, where all skills are available.

And that's probably why I reacted when someone said that many ppl had beaten the best tanks, because that's just not possible when the tank has his cds ready.


Personally, I don't spar on my warg because I lose my advantage, the element of surprise. Also, I don't like dying if I can avoid it, and I can't escape in a spar.


I'd be pretty annoyed at spar rules such as Vanyar's, so I'm glad I'm on Gilrain. You know anything about other servers?
Well I only played about 2 weeks on Vanyar before my sub ran out so only had 2 weeks to get to grips with things. EC seems to be allowed which is weird if Dev Strike can't be used but some RK's I fought don't use it. I think it depends on the individual. On the flip-side some RK's use lightning weapons which is CRAZY against a Rvr!

I hear your point about using all skills to see who is capable of what but the 1v1's are for fun, not really a competition. Its also an insanely fast way of racking up Infamy or Renown, so that is another reason its there I guess.

Personally I prefer dirty-tactics in a 1v1. I like impromptu fights as surprise coupled with shock and awe tactics usually mean a win. When it's arranged, people know whats coming and usually means 50/50 or a loss. Especially against the strong spar-classes.

You're right about Guards because they are the most OP class in the Moors for my money. They are more OP than RK's even.

As for other servers, I think Snowbourn probably has a 1v1 zone. It was good fun when I was there as it was abused quite often and entire raids sometimes faced-off at the 1v1 location, which I enjoyed.

Laurelin doesn't have a 1v1 zone AFAIK. Maybe they do now. Some people have tried to get one going. Laurelin is a pretty good server for respect though so if the action is slow, 'Spars' can break out and most people will respect them.

Last edited by Lunchboks; 17-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
 
Old 18-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Eorthor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom Server: Snowbourn
Posts: 4,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboks View Post
As for other servers, I think Snowbourn probably has a 1v1 zone. It was good fun when I was there as it was abused quite often and entire raids sometimes faced-off at the 1v1 location, which I enjoyed.
Not anymore, the zerglings of a tribe I won't mention due to a 'cba arguing on the forums' attitude, managed to kill it with ganking and zerging.
 
Old 18-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mighty England
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorthor View Post
Not anymore, the zerglings of a tribe I won't mention due to a 'cba arguing on the forums' attitude, managed to kill it with ganking and zerging.
Ahh, I see. That is a shame overall really. I think a 1v1 zone only really works on super-populated servers. IDK if Snowbourn fits this category these days but from my experience if a servers' entire action moves to the 1v1 zone, that is when people get itchy feet and start to tweak things.

Personally I despise it when people have the MO of actively looking to disrupt a 1v1 zone, but lets not go there
 
Old 19-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShaneEire32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 617
Default

Theres guides for this crap now?

1. Roll Warg
2. Give silly name
3. Go find the roaming shower of other wargs(if theres less then 8 your doing it wrong)
4. Wait for afkers in EC or find soloers coming back from GY
5. All gank 9v1, facerolling your face on keyboard works well Ive heard.
6. Profit
 
Old 19-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mighty England
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneEire32 View Post
Theres guides for this crap now?

1. Roll Warg
2. Give silly name
3. Go find the roaming shower of other wargs(if theres less then 8 your doing it wrong)
4. Wait for afkers in EC or find soloers coming back from GY
5. All gank 9v1, facerolling your face on keyboard works well Ive heard.
6. Profit
Don't blame the class mate. Blame the players. The players make the tactics not the class.

Anyway, your post is silly really because Reaver is actually EASIER to play than a warg so that face roll argument doesn't work. Also Reavers too have silly names. Moreover, Reavers gank too. Pot, kettle, black, my old son!
 
Old 19-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShaneEire32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboks View Post
Don't blame the class mate. Blame the players. The players make the tactics not the class.

Anyway, your post is silly really because Reaver is actually EASIER to play than a warg so that face roll argument doesn't work. Also Reavers too have silly names. Moreover, Reavers gank too. Pot, kettle, black, my old son!
Did you burn your kettle?
 
Old 19-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thrarakoin Dragonseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboks View Post
Don't blame the class mate. Blame the players. The players make the tactics not the class.

Anyway, your post is silly really because Reaver is actually EASIER to play than a warg so that face roll argument doesn't work. Also Reavers too have silly names. Moreover, Reavers gank too. Pot, kettle, black, my old son!
I have to agree with Mutt on this one. I see quite a few reavers dying less than wargs during non grouped skirmishes. They just zoom in and out for dev strike. It really depends on the player.
 
Thread Closed

Bookmarks


As per 31.05.2011. All times are UTC.