Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Game Discussion > Monsterplay (Player vs. Player Combat)

Monsterplay (Player vs. Player Combat) Freeps and Creeps, or innocent bystanders, please use this forum for ALL discussions pertaining to PvP, thank you.

Thread Closed
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Warg soloing guide

Seeing as Wargs are now a flavour of the month class I thought this guide might be useful, hate to see my chosen class humiliated by no-skill mofos, read this guide and don’t embarrass us noobs.

Traits

Corruption: I run with HfP1, HfP2, DfP1, DfP2, DfH2 and Critical Protection Boost 2. This gives me 4,954 morale, 1,586 power and (I estimate) -2.6% chance for a Freep to land a crit.

Race: Four-legged foe (+5% run speed, +240 evade rating), Pack Hunters (increase each DoT skill by 20 dmg), Pack Mentality (+240 parry and evade rating, +720 tactical and physical resistance).

Class: Enhanced stealth, long strides (+5% run speed), armour boost, enhanced sprint, element of surprise (+20% chance to critical when attacking from stealth), shadow fang.

Consumables: Odorous Salts (stun pot with a 2m cd,). Solvent of Painful Freedom (root pot with a 2m cd). Phial of Mazauk’s Resolve (Fear cc pot, 2m cd). Blood of Man (820-860 morale pot, 2m cd). Blood of the Fair Folk (820-860 power pot). You can also buy food and the four new vendor pots for maximum efficiency.

Hunters
Morale: 5,300
Power: 3,000

Open with pounce then apply crippling bite, get the flag up and silence as they shake off the stun, use savage fangs and maul for DoT damage and rend flesh which debuffs them so you can do +10% dmg for one minute. If while all of this is going on the Hunter fears/roots/dazes/snares you then use a pot asap and proceed as normal. Once you have applied rend flesh then use tendon shred for the stun and get behind the Hunter and use scratch and snip plus swipe (looking at about 1.2k non crit damage from those two skills right there). By now the Hunter is on low hp so quickly reapply crippling bite for the snare and spam claws at light speed while strafing in and out of the Hunter to mess up their inductions. If you’re facing a human then they might use SoM, in which case ease off claws and cycle your skills.

If this Hunter with a new lease of life decides to be troublesome by using crafted traps/rain of thorns after you’ve already burned your root pot then I’d suggest attempting a stun as soon as you see an animation which signals an impending root, if that doesn’t work for you wait and see if the damage frees you from the root quickly, it usually does upon which you finish the hnt off. Worst case scenario they root you while pot is on cd and activate burn hot with a big yellow crosshair targeting you, disappear grants you 10s of safety, the stun from disappear grants you another 5s of safety so you only need strafe for a total of 5s after which they’ll be out of power. Game, set and match, Warg.

Hunters are very low on the difficulty scale, my success rate against them since book 7 is 100%, it would take phenomenal luck on a Hunter’s part or for the Warg to purposefully gimp himself in order for a good Warg to lose.

Burglars
Morale: 5,200
Power: 2,000

Hobbits are a lot easier than Man Burglars I find, for example if a well geared human with high stealth level begins the fight in stealth then more often than not he gets the jump on me which puts me at quite a disadvantage but if some little guy tried that then I would spank his ass with a tracking talisman. A rank 9 Warg isn't handicapped by this as they can open the tracking window before the fight while the Burglar is out of stealth and track as soon as he enters stealth regardless of race.
For this spar I’ll assume the Burglar starts in mischief.

Start the fight with bloody maul and once you’re out of the burgs melee range turn and put the flag up, kite the burglar for a little and when he gets close quickly run through him applying crippling bite and strafe through him again applying rabid bite and savage fangs. If the burglar dazes either let him break it with dmg or if he mezzes you from range wait 2 seconds and then use your root pot to damage yourself to break free from the mez, if he stuns you pot out asap. Now that you’ve applied rabid bite the goal is to kite until the burg has no power, this will most likely take two applications (taking around 1m 30s).If the burg gets close apply rend flesh and then tendon shred, get behind him for increased damage and use scratch and snip plus swipe for high dmg, after that get your bleeds up and manoeuvre away as the burg wakes up.

Use frenzy whenever it’s up but like the flag don’t use it in melee range of the burg or you’ll be giving him a free hit. When the burg pops TnG kite him only applying swipe and eye rake (the two melee skills which bypass evade), while TnG is not active you can close in more often for bleeds and some other attacks. The moment the real fun begins is when his power bar hits zero, he might pop a power pot in which case reapply rabid bite and dance for a short while. The Burglar might hips during the course of the fight, if he hips with dots on him then run in a straight line away from him until the dots break him out of stealth (you might have to use sprint if the burg applied Dites) and resume fighting. If there are no dots to break him out of hips then against a hobbit burg I would use the same tactic of running away in a straight line, get out of combat, restealth and track the midget (boo, remember me? lol), but against a man burglar you won’t be able to track him so getting out combat will just let him regen destroying all your hard work, if he has a high stealth level then matters will only be made worse when he gets the jump on you so faced with such a dilemma it is best to suck it up and take the attacks from hips. One more thing, every time the burg stuns you and your pot is on cd zoom into 1st person view and face him to mitigate damage. One more one more thing: don’t ever use pounce to stun a burg in a spar.

Burglars are of medium difficulty (50/50), if you get lucky with crits and skill applications then your chances of success are boosted considerably, if the opposite is true then you will have a much tougher fight on your hands.

Guardians
Morale: 5,600
Power: 2,600

The thing about Guardians is to mix between kiting with dots and doing direct damage, if the guard is frustrating your attempts at kiting then switch to melee and vice versa. Begin with bloody maul and once out of melee range get the flag up, after that crippling and savage fangs plus maul, use frenzy whenever it’s up. Rend flesh and then tendon shred along with scratch and snip plus swipe and then get the bleeds up and manoeuvre away as the guard wakes from the stun. I wouldn’t advise to stun with pounce as the Guardian’s response can prove devastating (TTT plus stagger and a few other attacks can lose you the fight especially if he gets some nice crits), but if you decide to go down that path then pounce from stealth at the start of the spar so you can bear the brunt of it straight off, doing this will also allow you to use disappear for another stun later on. If the guard pops pledge then maintain your distance except for when swipe or eye rake is up, use sprint when you feel the time is right.
Don’t think there’s much else to add really, watch out for the racial skills, kite the dwarf one and get behind elves, Man heal can be difficult to overcome so use rabid bite against humans (SoM is tough on the power pool I think, costs around 600 power or so) and pray that you don’t get done over when it comes to crits/skill applications.

Guardian odds are around 50/50 imo.

Champions
Morale 5,800
Power 2,000

Pretty similar fight to the Guardian, major differences are that you can stun freely, apply rabid bite early because even though they have crazy power regen they will definitely have to pop Dire-Need which hits their power pool hard and humans might pop man heal which is also costly, also watch out for their horns (♫In my country there is problem and that problem is the Champ, they take everybody’s money, they never give it back. Throw the Champ down the well so my country can be free, you must grab him by his horns then we have a big party♫ ). The 10s horn stun is particularly nasty so it might be an idea to save the stun pot for it, of course if the fight isn’t going so great and you get stunned with a lesser horn then you might be forced to pop the stun pot beforehand in which case hope that the 10s horn doesn’t land or that its effectiveness is reduced by diminishing returns. Pay close attention to the champ’s stance, fervour = no avoidance = please have a seat Mr and Mrs Champ, I have some bad news. Controlled Burn is the standard spar stance. One more thing, be careful when kiting a champ as some of their skills have a 10m range.

A good Champ is an interesting fight, around medium difficulty just slightly below guards I’d say.

Wardens
Power: 3,000

I can’t write much here as I haven’t figured out a Warden-beating strategy myself but I’ll write a few lines. Kiting is a no-no as they can output decent dps with their ranged spear, if the Warden goes on the offensive their difficulty level plummets and you stand a very good chance of winning by cycling the usual skills but if they assume a defensive stance and pile on HoTs then in my experience there is little you can do besides feebly look on as your power bar edges ever closer to depletion and their morale bar steadily rises to full.
If any Warg has figured out a way to beat them when they stack HoT skills or if any Warden wants to share their Achilles heel when they go on the defensive then I’d be most grateful.

Warden odds are 80/20 in their favour imo.

Last edited by kremlin; 08-07-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Captains
Morale: 6,700
Power: 4,000

There are three things you should be doing in this fight; always keep them dotted; have rabid bite active as often as possible; mix some melee in as well. If the captain has an archer pet out then aim to kill him fast as they are very annoying, if he has any other pet out or no pets out then you can take more time draining his power and morale steadily, if the cappie opts for banners instead of pets then kite him out of the planted bannerĎs range. Be aware of his shouts and stay out of melee range for 10s(?) after one lands on you, man heal makes the fight a little tougher but itís no biggie also donít bother engaging when he pops last stand, just dance for 25s then finish the job. Other than that, be sensible and play it cool.

Difficulty of this spar is below average in my view, around 65/35 favouring the Warg.

Minstrel
Morale: 5,000
Power: 4,200

Start the fight with maul and then the flag, next use silence plus rabid bite and as they activate improved cry of the chorus to dispel silence use rend flesh. Now that theyíve used cry of the chorus all of their ballads and anthems are available (saving them the trouble of cycling through three ballad tiers) so use tendon shred to try and make them lose the window of opportunity. Once theyíre stunned, scratch and snip plus swipe, claws and crippling, after this theyíll wake from the stun so use savage fangs and reapply maul. From here just spam claws and strafe, if they use lay of the hammerhand then disappear and stun to get rid of their bubble (you might wish to dps a little beforehand to wreck their power). At this point the Minstrel will usually fear you, drop war speech and casually heal to full so itís vital you have fear pots at hand, the moment fear lands remove it, donít give him a second to relax. Spam claws to interrupt the mincerís heals (pop a power pot if needed), the mincer will then pop TS (+1.8k morale costs 400(?) or so power). Human Minstrels might even pop man heal, but donít be worried by any of this, rabid bite + power consumed in war speech + power drained while bubbled + power wasted on TS and possibly man heal = Minstrel without power soon to be without morale as well. Use a stun pot if piercing cry crits. Of course sometimes a Minstrel will lay consecutive crits on your ass (1.4k call to fate plus 1.2k call of the second age plus 900 call of orome plus 800 piercing cry, man that was a tough gig hehe), and sometimes you will do the same to them (700 claws x2, 1.2k scratch and snip, 750 swipe, never felt so op as I did on that day ^^), not much either of you can do in such unlucky circumstances.

Minstrels are tough opponents, odds of 55/45 in their favour Iíd say.

Rune-Keepers
Morale: 5,100
Power: 3,800

I use pretty much the same tactics I employ against Minstrels except I leave out silence and rabid bite. When the RK wakes up from the stun without fail they use daze to give them breathing space and so that they can gain some kiting room, you need to choose whether you will wait 2 seconds for the daze grace period to finish and then pop root pot to damage yourself and break free or whether to use a stun pot straight away which leaves you vulnerable to a fairly reliable stun from their shocking words skill.
Iíve gone down both routes and concluded that in such a situation youíre between a rock and a hard place. If the RK tries to kite with slows then use sprint, if a dwarf pops their racial then disappear and wait it out.
A fight against a Rune-keeper is pretty much a dps race so you need to keep them stunned as often as you can, you wonít be able to kill them before they get to nine attunement but if you donít kill them shortly after they get there youíll be for the chopping block. Crits as always play a vital role but Wargs have around a 12% critical chance rising to 15% with an in-combat buff compared with Rune-keepers who can reach something like 35%, so theyíre going to crit a hell of a lot.

A very challenging fight, odds of 60/40 in the RKs favour I believe.

Lore-Masters
Morale: 5,300
Power: 3,800

Very little to be said here, LMs may not be as divine as they once were but theyíre still not quite mortal. True, DR changes means cc isnít as potent as before and cc pots prevent chain-stunning and tendon shred bypasses SI BUT and this is a big but, creep cc pots are now on double the cooldown of equivalent pots in SoA, once the 5s cc immunity from my pots wears off the LM can chain ents and lighting, they can debuff the hell out of me (-30% dmg, 7-9% miss chance, etc), if they crit on their big skills the fight will be over very fast. They can go down the kiting route if they choose with embers and tar and when I pop sprint they can cc me, soon as sprint is over the fight is in the bag and ends when they say so. I can take down their morale bar but when you factor in the heal from Wisdom of the Council which also has a chance to stun me when I attack them and if by some crazy stroke of luck I burn through that as well thereís always SoM to contend with when fighting humans. Plus their pet (raven can boost their shadow defence significantly further destroying my dps).

Odds are 70/30 in favour of the LM imo.

Comments, criticisms and corrections welcome.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Having played with and against you I can firmly add, you will not find a better warg to get advice from. Nice work murd.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice post. I use exactly the same build traitwise.

One thing I find helps against RKs is to stun from stealth, follow the usual procedure, DPS until SI wears out. TS, dps through it, and by this point they're probably around 6-7 attunement (1 skill = +1 attunement, starting from 0, so it's quite easy to work out. Also neutral attune skills, such as the mez, will drop that back down, but they're harder to spot usuall), then hips when you think they're on 7-8. Let them drop OOC (ideally with a couple of dots on) and their attunement will drop down to 0 very quickly (if you see them starting a healing induction you can be sure they're at 0 attune). After 5s or so OOC stun again from stealth.
That's really the only way to avoid the big EC, which will have ~50% crit chance if the RK uses perfect imagery (also this is a 6 attune (IIRC) skill, which adds 30% to the crit chance for all fury of storm skills for 15s - If you can learn to recognise the icon, this is a good time to hips, as their skills are going to hurt whilst that buff is up. It's also a mez, though, so you need to be able to break it really).

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Reason I don't usually pounce from stealth is because I can't rely on a critical which means the stun can be potted out, something the more astute RKs take advantage of so I generally prefer the bloody maul damage.

Some nice pointers there.

Edit: One problem with getting out of combat is that they might put the ice rink down the moment you disappear which means you need to pounce before the 10s of disappear are up, how fast does attunment drop while in combat?

Last edited by kremlin; 08-07-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is a guide worth "Sticking"

It will help plenty new wargs. Maybe they will even get courage to try solo as well.

Well done!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

For class traits I have it a little different with crit prot 1 and 2 and dmg for health 1 with no health traits.

Same with all my creeps I have found since moria overall dps buff huge max health on offensive classes like wargs seems to be only usefull to scare people, 400 morale is like 1 skill more that you will survive for, so I just leave all my morale off (although I do rock the +10% class morale trait on my spider)

Are all these guides assuming no use of brands?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthalion View Post
Are all these guides assuming no use of brands?
Aye, If I use it then so will they.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Some very good advice from Kremlin, and I'd like to add something further:

The best skill that any warg can use is the player skill of movement - it's a great equaliser. Staying behind your opponent at all times will greatly increase your chances of winning the fight. Warg players have to be able to access all their skills while simultaneously moving their toon. To do that they have to get out of the habit of clicking on skill icons with their mouse.

For example: I've mapped claws to my middle mouse button. All the other skills I use during a fight I've mapped tightly around my WASD keys.

It's confusing to begin with. Once you've remapped it's best to go out and practice on lots of mobs until you can access all your skills without looking at your keyboard and without clicking on their icons, and while constantly moving around/through your enemy. It helps a hell of a lot.

Last edited by Vulpus; 07-07-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin View Post

Burglars
Power: 2,000

Hobbits are a lot easier than Man Burglars I find, for example if a well geared human with high stealth level begins the fight in stealth then more often than not he gets the jump on me which puts me at quite a disadvantage but if some little guy tried that then I would spank his ass with a tracking talisman. For this spar I’ll assume the Burglar starts in mischief.

Start the fight with bloody maul and once you’re out of the burgs melee range turn and put the flag up, kite the burglar for a little and when he gets close quickly run through him applying crippling bite and strafe through him again applying rabid bite and savage fangs. If the burglar dazes either let him break it with dmg or if he mezzes you from range wait 2 seconds and then use your root pot to damage yourself to break free from the mez, if he stuns you pot out asap. Now that you’ve applied rabid bite the goal is to kite until the burg has no power, this will most likely take two applications (taking around 1m 30s).If the burg gets close apply rend flesh and then tendon shred, get behind him for increased damage and use scratch and snip plus swipe for high dmg, after that get your bleeds up and manoeuvre away as the burg wakes up.

Use frenzy whenever it’s up but like the flag don’t use it in melee range of the burg or you’ll be giving him a free hit. When the burg pops TnG kite him only applying swipe and eye rake (the two melee skills which bypass evade), while TnG is not active you can close in more often for bleeds and some other attacks. The moment the real fun begins is when his power bar hits zero, he might pop a power pot in which case reapply rabid bite and dance for a short while. The Burglar might hips during the course of the fight, if he hips with dots on him then run in a straight line away from him until the dots break him out of stealth (you might have to use sprint if the burg applied Dites) and resume fighting. If there are no dots to break him out of hips then against a hobbit burg I would use the same tactic of running away in a straight line, get out of combat, restealth and track the midget (boo, remember me? lol), but against a man burglar you won’t be able to track him so getting out combat will just let him regen destroying all your hard work, if he has a high stealth level then matters will only be made worse when he gets the jump on you so faced with such a dilemma it is best to suck it up and take the attacks from hips. One more thing, every time the burg stuns you and your pot is on cd zoom into 1st person view and face him to mitigate damage.
That's an exploit. Oh, heck, creeps don't do that.
And :O at the burglar, staying in a fight with a melee class kiting.

Thread Closed