Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > News and Announcements

News and Announcements Looking for the latest news on LOTRO? It's right here!

Closed Thread
Old 19-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Fashion Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Roy >
Lilka... copyright infringement.
I'd like to see someone try and sue you because you're making money off a photo of a tree because they have a similar picture of a tree. Unless these rules are basically stating you can never take pictures of trees again. If that were the case, see you in court Sounds like fun.

Old 20-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Don't mean to sound patronising here, but you don't get it. It's not that you can take your own similar picture of a tree, that is your picture and has every right to be your picture. Anyone can photograph that tree and it is their picture, each person's photograph of the same tree is their own picture, theirs to own forever. But according to the rules, once submitted that photograph is said to be no longer their own property. It is about a particular photograph, not another photo of the same thing because that will always be different in one way or another. A Rembrandt painting is always a Rembrandt painting no matter who displays it. A Klimt painting is always a Klimt painting no matter who displays it. The painting is always known by the artist who painted it. Be it that painting of a kiss, that painting of an anatomy lesson, that is their paintings of those subjects, not some other artists painting of those subjects. If someone else wanted to paint a kiss or an anatomy lesson, which they are perfectly free to do so provided they have permission from the subject, then that is their painting. It will be a different painting.

If you gave me a photograph that you have taken of your children when they were little, just saying that if you have children , I do not know you so I do not mean to make any assumptions or cause any offence in any way, but just say that you gave me a photograph of your newborn child, I can then publish that photograph if I wanted to because you gave it to me and that is now my photograph and I take all the credit for it. I don't think you would be happy with me doing that. But hayho that is the rule of the game in your opinion.

Last edited by fingal; 20-04-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 20-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Take a look at any newspaper. If the photographer is freelance, then the name of the photographer or the company the photographer is contracted to is always quoted, to not infringe on copyright. Have a look at National Geographic, the photographer is always mentioned so as not to infringe on copyright. They know that an original photo, not a similar one, is always the property of the photographer and has to be mentioned. They do not own that photograph as will The Arranger if you submit a photo to this competition. Any publisher that puts a photograph in the public domain has to declare who the owner is unless the owner has given up the rights to that photograph as is the case here in the Terms and Conditions as stated if you care to read them. My photograph is my photograph, your photograph is your photograph. But if you submit your photograph, it is no longer your photograph, that is your choice. I am not talking about a similar photograph as you are, because similar is not the same. I am talking about one unique photograph, any photograph, because all photographs are unique unless you copy them through some process. Similar does not come into it because it is not the same. Maybe close, but unique also in it's own way, but not the same. Please do not patronise me in your reply as in "see you in court," because you are not reading the terms and conditions properly or you do not understand the meaning of unique or similar

Old 21-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Community Liaison Officer
Schlimmsta Buchstabbira, 2010
Beste Betreuerin der deutschen Community, 2011

A COG representative has posted in this thread

The "Find Middle-earth Competition" has now closed and no new entries will be accepted. We will be informing the winners via e-mail shortly so please have a close eye on your inbox. We thank all participants for their submissions and look forward to choosing the winners.

Closed Thread