Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Game Discussion > Quests

Quests Need help with a quest? Not sure where to go next? Post here! (WARNING: May contain spoilers!)

Thread Closed
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vol. II, Book 6, Chapter 8: New Devilry

We tried V2B6C8 last night and had serious problems. I haven't been able to find any guides on teh interweb so it seems people in general don't find it that difficult. We were clearly doing something wrong and missing something obvious.

We had a group of two guardians, champion, hunter, ministrel and lore-master, all level 60 with decent gear. Not the best balanced group ever, but not too bad.

On our first attempt we tried to control and kill the adds before we went to work on the boss, but we wiped when the boss was at roughly half morale. The adds couldn't be controlled and just respawned when they were killed, so on our second attempt we went all out DPS on the boss. That didn't seem to work at all. He just evaded everything and we only managed to hurt him for around 10,000 morale before we wiped.

On our third attempt we decided to focus all damage on the adds. We had a guardian tanking the boss, keeping an eye on his buffs and shouting when he seemed vulnerable. We then switched to him and hit him until he seemed to evade everything again. We then went back to the adds. With this tactic we got him down to about 20,000 morale. At that point it seemed he just didn't want to play with us anymore and wiped us with a couple of AoE fire attacks doing up to 3,000 damage.

After that our hunter had to leave, and a captain joined instead. We tried again with the same tactic and it was going really well until the boss just decided to kill us when he was at something like 10,000 morale.

I did find this video. It seems they are just DPSing him, and it takes less than 3 minutes from starting the encounter to looting him...

What are we doing wrong?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalle
On our third attempt we decided to focus all damage on the adds. We had a guardian tanking the boss, keeping an eye on his buffs and shouting when he seemed vulnerable. We then switched to him and hit him until he seemed to evade everything again. We then went back to the adds. With this tactic we got him down to about 20,000 morale. At that point it seemed he just didn't want to play with us anymore and wiped us with a couple of AoE fire attacks doing up to 3,000 damage.
I did it like this a few times over. Have your guardian indeed tank the final boss. The rest of the group concentrates on the adds and DPS' the crap out of them. The tank needs the attention from the minstrel, but it is doable. The adds need to be taken away from the tank, because it's mostly the adds that kill the tank, not the boss himself. It also helps if the tanks uses reflective shield (I believe) to reflect part of the damage back to the boss.

It also helps if the lore-master keeps an eye on the tank once in a while to remove dot's and such. Use the champion as an off-tank for the adds.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dont even need the entire group on the adds, our group was I believe a tank a minstrel a captain an LM and 2 hunters, the captain was in the boss fight alongside the tank and the LM when not doing things such as passing out power was also on the boss, with of course hunters doing the same whenever they got a break in the adds.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks! I think we may have focused too much on the adds, and forgot to hit the boss enough. Maybe we should have let the hunter deal with the adds and have the champ hit the boss the whole time.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Probably easy with 5 hunters and a minstrel...:-)

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithithil
Probably easy with 5 hunters and a minstrel...:-)
Haha, funny you should say that!

Have a hunter Kite/DPS the boss and the Guard tank adds rest ganking boss till he starts his evade all, leave the hunter to Kite, kill 1st set of adds and straight back to boss leaving Guard to worry about those pesky grims and vola!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Done this today, during third attempt. We had Hunter, Champ, Guardian, LM, Minstrel and Captain (me).

I was taking care of the Shadow Grim, champion tanked the Flame one, guardian and hunter on Gwathnor. However there's something weird about the grim, I put the Noble Mark on it, it always had me in target, despite that it was swirling around and hitting people at random (especially hunter and LM), I hardly ever caught him in melee range.
As for Gwathnor - from time to time he obtains a 100% Evade (or Block, having paid much attention) buff, so that might be the issue.
Anyway it went quite good, nobody died iirc (though some were close) and Gwathnor dropped the Cloak of Shadow and Flame (the blue one that is).

Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I initially wiped on this several times, trying various tactics and group setups. There is a "proper way" of doing it, which revolves around killing specific type of adds, as they give two different buffs on the boss; the other one gives him a slowly increasing evasion buff and I think it goes away when you kill all shadow grims. The other one is an AoE fire attack which grows in damage as time goes on and killing fire grims takes it away.

That's how it goes in theory anyway.

See the absolutely best tactic for this is to bring two hunters in strength stance, point at the boss and say "Nuke". And the boss will drop dead in no time at all, other classes can help on damaging, but I don't think it's even necessary. Seriously. Two hunters in strength stance going all out = win.

Last edited by Geren; 12-01-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Æled
However there's something weird about the grim, I put the Noble Mark on it, it always had me in target, despite that it was swirling around and hitting people at random (especially hunter and LM), I hardly ever caught him in melee range.
Noble's mark has been confirmed as currently being bugged to bits..

source:-
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=237689
(page 8 or so is where the devs start confirming it)

Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
tmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Æled
However there's something weird about the grim, I put the Noble Mark on it, it always had me in target, despite that it was swirling around and hitting people at random (especially hunter and LM), I hardly ever caught him in melee range.
According to the developer responsible for mob AI the grims are made to be "chaotic" mobs -- they completely ignore taunt and threat mechanics, and instead each of their attacks is aimed at random person. I'd suspect this also affect grims like these boss adds.

Thread Closed