Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > LOTRO Races > Race of Elves

Race of Elves For discussion relating to the Race of Elves.

Thread Closed
Old 21-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Caras Galadhon. Server: [EN-RP] Laurelin Elven Lore-master
Post Gr Edhellen - An Elven Guide

Gr Edhellen
An Elven Guide

Suilad! Which means 'Hello!', and I do mean it! Hello to you! Welcome to the latest installation of 'Gr Edhellen', the Elven Guide.

This guide was written to assist all players of Lord of the Rings: Online with the Race of Elves, a mysterious folk from across the Sea. To all those of [EN-RP] Laurelin, [FR-RP] Estel and [DE-RP] Belegaer, I offer you a chance to learn more about this fine race. Even to you who do not live on a Roleplay server, this guide can be of use to you in many ways!

Please note, that his guide is not written, nor does not claim to be officially licensed, by Turbine Inc/Codemasters, but is written by a player, for players.

Please also note, that some content of this guide is not suitable for minors. I ask that if you are one such child, to consult a parent regarding the viewing of this guide. The guide covers a topic of sexuality and reproduction among a fictional race.

On another note, is one regarding sexuality in Middle-earth (a topic that will be discussed below). J.R.R Tolkien was a Catholic, living in a dark time. World War II had ravaged many, the world was rebuilding slowly. During this time, homosexuality was considered a sin by the Church, and a mental disorder by scientists. The Lord of the Rings was written before today, before all races, orientations and beliefs were accepted as they are today. This can be both a good and bad thing, for while we can leave modern influences out of our beloved tale, some wish to force them into it.

It can be logical to believe that Tolkien did not write homosexuality into his works, for fear of the feedback he might receive. Please also note, that I do not wish to encourage players to roleplay Gay Elves, or Coloured Gondorian Lords; yet I do not wish to hinder them in their experience. Merely, I offer a suggestion – for we have all had to make compromises for this game. We leave our real selves at the computer desk, and dive into a realm of fantasy; of fiction. Let your real beliefs not enter the world of Lord of the Rings: Online. Let your character be unique, in the fantasy world and the real one. For both worlds can be ours, in equal measure – no matter what colour, creed or orientation we are.

I thank you for reading the above note; it has been an important factor since the last variant of the Guide. I shall now, without hesitation, begin!

~

Contents:

Things to Know Before Entering Middle-earth
Facts Regarding Elves
In-game Abilities
Valuable Links

Miscellaneous

Recommended Reading

Sources

• General
  • Quotes from Books
With Thanks To...

A Parting Note

~

Last edited by Andarne; 29-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

~

Things to Know Before Entering Middle-earth

In-game Hints and Tips
Covering the basic facts one must know before they enter the World.

Regarding Date and Time

Elves measure time differently from us. They don't use the Human Calendar, moreover their own.

A single yn, meaning year, is equivelant to 144 of our Human years.

They don't use months, rather seasons.

A single yn starts on the first day of Spring.

Ethuil - Spring (54 days)
Laer - Summer (72 days)
Iavas - Autumn (54 days)
Firith - Fading (4 days)
Rhw - Winter (72 days)
Echuir - Stirring (54 Days)

Regarding Heritage

As soon as you enter Lord of the Rings: Online, you will be given the choice of Race, Homeland and Appearance. While heritage isn't as important as Men, Hobbit's and Dwarfs, it can play an important role in an Elf's life. The locations you can choose are; Lothlrien, the Golden Wood. Lindon, the Western Realm of the Elves. Mirkwood, the dark forest. Edhellond, the Port to the South and Rivendell, the last great Elf-haven.

Each of these locations are mixed-heritage, of sorts. But each have roots in the Three Ancestor Houses; the Minyar, Tatyar and Nelyar. Of these three, the Three Main Houses were formed; the Noldor, lovers of craft and maker of weapons. The Noldor were pale and had dark hair. The Vanyar, who were the 'upper-class' of the Elves, favouring perfection. The Vanyar were the tall Elves, and golden haired. The Teleri were the strong Elves, and favoured the Sea; building boats akin to swans.

However, of the three Houses; only two did not leave a pure-blooded individual in Middle-earth. The Noldor did return, but only descendants of the Vanyar and Teleri remain in Middle-earth.

The Three Houses travelled with Orom, the Huntsman of the Valar, to Valinor. There, they lived lives of peace and prosperity, for many years. However, before even travelling to the Middle-earth equivalent of heaven, there was strife.

There was one House of Elves, which are no longer around; and thus, unwise to Roleplay. This house, which was a merging of the remainder of the Three Ancestor Houses of the Minyar, Tatyar and Nelyar, were those who did not follow their cousins to Valinor, who thought of the Valar as Evil Beings; and stayed behind. They were wild Elves; the Avari, the unwilling. These people lingered in Middle-earth, and are written little about. The only reference to an actual Avar, is that of El. We can assume that the Avari died out, or interbred to extinction; with Elves of the Silvan House.

Dependant on whom you choose as your ancestor, different traits will be present in your character. For example, an Elf with an ancestry of Vanyarin and Noldo, would have pale-skin, and golden hair; while a Noldo would be pale and dark-haired.

Another important factor, while we cover the topic of heritage; is not to relate to any of the 'Epic' characters, such as Thingol or Elrond; etc. This is considered lore-breaking; as we do know quite a bit about the major characters' history. Though not many family tree's exist, those that do give us an insight into the families of the more important characters.

Regarding Age

The Lord of the Rings: Online is set, initially, when Frodo and Sam leave the Shire; in TA (Third Age) September 23rd 3018. However, the Elf Starter in Edhelion begins near 600 years in the past. The Starter can, however, be skipped; so that portion of an age can be void from an Elves history.

Elves come of age at 100 years, and their laws permit no child to the art of warfare or exploration. Parents will not, willingly, let their children go forth into an Evil world. Even if slain, the child will know that his/her parents wished him/her to find kinsmen; they would look for safety, and not wander alone and lost.

Regarding Craft

As mentioned above, each of the Elven houses had a specific trait to them. Depending on the house your Elf belongs to, a single craft will suit them better. Know that Elves do not favour the felling of Tree's, or the damaging of wildlife in any particular manner, nor are they miners of renown (the earth is the realm of the Dwarfs). Thus, they choose only a few resources; such as tree's, to fell; but always replant them.

Regarding Behavior

Something that comes with any Elf, is a unique behavioral set; mostly down to the heritage chosen. The Noldor are the Proud (though arrogant), the Vanyar are the perfectionists (who hate flaws), and the Teleri are the strong (who look down on the weak).

Each of these can be a boon and a flaw to your character. However, there are some base-lines that must be used.

Firstly, Elves are not human; thus, they do not have the same behavioral patterns. Actions, typically referred to as 'non-Elf', such as theft and assassination, are unheard of in Elven culture. The race is simply too pure for these 'lowly' deeds; which can be boiled down to corruption by Dark Powers.

When planning your Elf-character, don't set his behavior to that of an 'Assassin', or 'High-protector' of all things. There are thousands of Elves in Middle-earth, some great, some small. Making a 'ranger-wannabe' Elf, or a 'Lord of Darkness' Elf simply does not fit with the setting, and should be avoided - like a bad smell. The behavior of your character can have long-lasting effects, and will undoubtedly make your character in the years to come.

Start Your Elf

Now that you have read the above, it's high-time you can start your Elf in Middle-earth. But, do you know all? How do you plan to play your Elf? How do you go about Middle-earth safely and correctly? In the below sections, I will assist you in these matters. But, for now; get the Starter done! Your Elf will be born to the world, in due time...

~

Last edited by Andarne; 29-03-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

~

An Introduction to the Languages of Middle-earth
Assisting players with the many languages to choose from.

A List of Languages

Elvish languages:
  1. Primitive Quendian
    • Avarin languages (at least six languages)
    • Common Eldarin
      • Quenya
        • Vanyarin Quenya*
        • Noldorin Quenya*
      • Common Telerin
        • Telerin of Valinor
        • Sindarin (at least three dialects, namely Northern, Doriathrin and Gondorian)*
        • Nandorin languages (influenced by Avarin)*
  2. Mannish languages (all showed influence by Avarin tongues as well as Khuzdul):
    • Languages of forefathers of the First and Third Houses of the Atanatri
      • Taliska (two dialects)
        • Adnaic
          • Westron or "Common Speech" (influenced by Sindarin, and languages of Eriador) - rendered by Tolkien as English*
          • Hobbitish (influenced by languages of Northmen)
          • Black Adnaic of Black Nmenreans
      • Languages of Men of Eriador during the Second Age*
      • Languages of Northmen
        • Dalish - rendered by Tolkien as Norse
        • Rohirric - rendered by Tolkien as Old English
        • Kingdom of Rhovanion language - rendered by Tolkien as Gothic
    • Language of forefathers of the Second House of the Atanatri
      • Haladin language
      • Dunlendish - rendered by Tolkien as Brythonic, at least for Hobbit personal names
    • Drg languages
      • Language of the Dredain of Brethil
      • Language of the Woses of Dradan forest
    • Many Haradrim languages
    • Many tongues of Easterlings
  3. Languages of Dwarves:
    • Khuzdul
    • Iglishmek (sign language)
  4. Languages of the Ents
    • Old Entish
    • "New" Entish
  5. Languages of the Ainur (Valar and Maiar)
    • Valarin
      • Black Speech, created by Sauron
  6. Languages of the Orcs
  7. Various debased forms of the Black Speech and regional dialects influenced by Westron
  8. Primitive methods of communication
    • Language of the Trolls
    • Language of the Wargs
Those noted with * mark languages spoken by the Elves of Middle-earth.

~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

~

What Languages to Use

While the Elves may be one of the Eldest Races, they do not know every language known in Middle-earth. Indeed, some languages (like Black Speech) even cause pain to the Elves (and as such, will not use them).

The change in the wizard's voice was astounding. Suddenly it became menacing, powerful, harsh as stone. A shadow seemed to pass over the high sun, and the porch for a moment grew dark. All trembled, and the Elves stopped their ears.1

The Languages that are known to Elves, such as Westron, Sindarin and Quenya, among others, are the main ones; spoken by many during the Third Age and, depending on your Elf's age, the Second Age.

However, languages are not supported in The Lord of the Rings: Online, and to announce use of one; it helps if you prefix the sentence with {Sindarin}, {Westron} or {Quenya}.

An 'unofficial language', that is used by the Elves, is telepathy. While you might think this means moving objects with the mind, telepathy (which is called sanwe-latya in Quenya, is a method of communication between Elder Elves (and some younger, though it is much more difficult for them). Tolkien wrote that the method is used easily by those who lived in the Blessed Realm, and those who do not use a spoken language (i.e. a mute). The ability was greatly assisted by the willpower an Elf had over his/her spirit, and the ability to look from 'mind to mind' allowed thoughts and feelings to be transferred effortlessly.

A link to the languages noted is below, in the Valuable Links Section.

~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

~

A Few Starter Phrases

To get you started upon your way in Middle-earth, here are a few basic phrases in Sindarin, that any Elf should know. Please note that the English translation may differ from the Sindarin; this is due to the limited amount of words in the Sindarin Language; and the context is as close as possible. For example, "I'm Sorry" would be "My sorrow".

Greetings
Greetings - Suilad
Well met - Mae govannen
Welcome - Mae tollen
Welcome home - Mae tollen na mar
Welcome back - Mae athollen
It is my joy to see you - Glass nn le
It is my joy to see you again - Glass nn le
A star shines on the occasion of our meeting - l sla nan l e-govaded vn
It is my joy to meet you - Glass nn le
I haven't seen you for a long time - Anann le
My heart sings to see you - Guren linna le

Titles of Address
My friend/friends - mellon/mellyn nn
My son/daughter - ion/iell nn
My father/mother - adar/naneth nn
My brother/sister - muindor/muinthel nn
My sworn brother/sister - gwador/gwathel nn
My husband/wife - hervenn/hervess nn
My Lord/Lady - hr/hiril nn

Conversation
Yes - Maer
No - Baw
What is your name? - Man i eneth ln?
___ is my name - ___ i eneth nn
I'm ___ - im ___
Please - iesten
Thanks - Le hannon
You're welcome - Glassen
Well done - Mae carnen
I understand - Henion
I dont understand - -chenion
I'm sorry - Naethen
Forgive me - Goheno nin
As you wish - Be iest ln
Dont worry - Avaro naeth
What news? - Man siniath?
~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

~

Facts Regarding Elves

An Introduction to the Race of Elves
Teaching those unfamiliar about the Elves.

Immortality is the term we assign to Elves. They are, essentially as the Firstborn and favoured Race, undying; to an extent. While age alone poses no real threat to an Elf (though weariness is a worry at times), physical damage is one of the ways an Elf can be 'killed'. Elves, out of all the beings of Middle-earth, have the greatest control over their spirits (soul), than perhaps Men or Hobbits; this allows them to live in 'both worlds', but this term is more assigned to those Elves who lived in Valinor.

While, as mentioned above, age doesn't kill Elves; weariness of the world does. Tolkien wrote little of this, but told us that Elves who grow weary of their bodies, can leave them; and turn into spirits alone, not dwelling in Valinor out of choice. These are called 'Lingerers', and they can influence the world indirectly; as spirits do. However, this is noted to have only happened well into the Fourth Age of Middle-earth, so it is unwise to roleplay.

If, however, an Elf dies through any means; their fa (soul) leaves their body and travels to the Blessed Realm, where it lingers in the Halls of Mandos, essentially the halls of the dead, for an unspecified amount of time. During this time, the spirit is cleansed of pain and burden; and once completed, they are permitted outside into the Blessed Realm Proper.

Tolkien discussed, briefly, the method that Elves can be reincarnated; but it was a complicated process. For once, the Elf to be reincarnated; could only do so with a body related to his own (i.e. a descendant). This was not, however, expanded on much; so is unwise to roleplay.

Furthermore, no Elf is permitted to return from the Blessed Realm. Those who left in the First Age, against the will of the Valar, received the Doom of the Valar; not permitted to return until death or they were forgiven. However, the Valar lifted this Ban at the start of the Second Age; and Elves may freely return to the realm since - often by the 'Straight Road', from the Grey Havens; or, as noted, through death. Alas, only one Elf has since left Valinor; and even he is debated by the author. Glorfindel of Gondolin was slain by a Balrog, and was sent back to Middle-earth to assist. He is the only example of an Elf returning from Valinor after it was removed from the World.

It was the Elves who first developed weapons (the Noldor were renowned for it, and the Teleri for their bows). We can assume that in their long lives, Elves hone and practice their combat mastery; easily becoming some of Middle-earth's finest fighters - a daunting idea, were you an Orc!

It was the Elves that taught Men music, among other things. Being also the Firstborn, they learned quickly most of the languages of the World; and devised their own: Quenya, the 'Elven latin', and Sindarin, the common tongue (note that the Elves of Lothlrien speak Sindarin with an accent). Most also speak Westron, the 'universal' language of Arda.

While immortal, Elves are described as not needing sleep; but the activity is not impossible to them. They do get weary, though not as easily as other races. To rest, Elves rest their minds and bodies through meditation and the viewing of beautiful things.

When dreaming, they can receive visions of the future; though it would take quite an extraordinary mind to decipher them. These visions are more prominent when an Elf is with child, and the child's name is often given by cause of these visions. It is the Vala, Irmo, who controls the dreams of all.

As stated above, numerous times; the Elves are superior to many. As the Firstborn they are, essentially, Eru's 'experiment' of Life. The perfect people (though not without flaws of their own). Their senses are unmatched by many; they live longer, tire less, learn faster and see farther than others. However, they are limited as such; so as not to be 'superhuman' in a sense.

As you shall find out below; death is an important aspect to Elves. Being immortal, and bound to the world; they cannot leave. They feel it's pain. It is even said that death is a gift, given to Men, Dwarf's (presumably) and Hobbits. The act of sin, as you will again find out below, may play a part in the afterlife of Elves. Kinslayings (the slaying of an Elf by an Elf), and the breaking of an Oath sworn under Eru are considered the most severe of 'Sins'. Both of these, I would not recommend to Roleplay; no matter the circumstances. This is because the single kinslaying sparked a War and extreme hatred between those involved, that did not pass in over five-thousand years.

Half-elves, or those 'born from the union of a Man and an Elf', are extremely rare. Indeed; the only definite cases are those of the (reported) Imrazr and Mithrellas, Aragorn and Arwen, Beren and Lthien and Idril and Tuor. As the pain caused by the knowledge that one of the couple would die eventually would be extreme, the rarity of these pairings was so much that each pairing was only determined by an extreme bout of fate (Such as Aragorn and Arwen re-founding Gondor and Arnor).

Even though the Half-Elven did exist, interracial marriages were stuck at Man/Elf; and even these are a rarity (only four examples exist, and it is still unwise to RP this). There were no Elf/Hobbit or Elf/Dwarf marriages, while respectively each race kept to themselves. That meant no Dwarf/Hobbit, or Dwarf/Man, etc.
~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

~

On the Lives of the Elves
Detailing the Lives of Elves Since Birth.

On Birth and Growth

As noted in a paragraph below, Elves marry after having sexual intercourse. The act of bodily union also brings a child to their life. Like parents of the real world, each child is a blessing; personifying parts of both the mother and father. A new spirit in the world.

Elven children are born typically one year after conception; which is around three month's in-game. However, during times of war of grief, children are not born nor conceived. This is believed to be because the act of life-taking, diminishes the spirit somewhat. However, the topic was not highly dwelt upon.

If, for some reason, the child's parents are absent (usually through death, adoption is unheard of), then guardians will take parentage of the child. This is usually a selected representative, the Middle-earth equivalent of 'Godparents'. However, others would do the same without a second glance. Children are rare to Elves, being Immortal.

While like children of the real world, being that they are merry and enjoy playing; there are opposites. Elves do not celebrate the day of their birth; but that of their conception. Elven children grow faster than normal children, to a point that they can sing, dance and talk by their first year!

Come the one hundredth year, which is the day Elves come of age, they will be the model for who they shall remain for the rest of their lives.

"The Eldar grew in bodily form slower than Men, but in mind more swiftly. They learned to speak before they were one year old; and in the same time they learned to walk and to dance, for their wills came soon to the mastery of their bodies. Nonetheless there was less difference between the two Kindreds, Elves and Men, in early youth; and a man who watched elf-children at play might well have believed that they were the children of Men, of some fair and happy people. For in their early days elf-children delighted still in the world about them, and the fire of their spirit had not consumed them, and the burden of memory was still light upon them."2
~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

~

On Life

During their daily lives, the arts and craft occupy most Elves' hours. Masonry, painting and sewing are a few things that might occupy an Elf for the day. Not particularly 'hobbies', each craft can benefit the land in which they live. However, like most Elves; the yearning for the Western Lands takes precedence, except in those who are born in Lothlrien (Galadriel's ring prevents them from feeling the sorrow).*

Contrary to the views many might see in places such as Bree, Elves are not alcoholics and murderers. Those things are far below any Elf or Half-Elf. Stereotypes present, such as a strict-vegetarian diet or pacifist folk, are a farce. Elves can and usually do eat meats, and have hunted in the past for food. Wines are considered a delicacy. Warfare can play an important part in the Elves' daily rituals. For one, children cannot be conceived during times of war (due to personal beliefs by the Elves).

During life, the Elves are also subject to 'laws', which were set after the Elves went to Valinor, summoned by Orom (and the Valar as a whole).

The first law that is noted, is that Elves must not return from the Dead; and it is not in their power or lawful for them to do so. Mandos alone holds that right, but he will do so only under the command of Manw.

"The Eldar then asked: 'How shall the will or doom be known?' It was answered: 'Only by recourse to Manwe and by the pronouncement of Namo. In this matter it shall not be lawful for any of the Eldar to judge his own case. For who among the Living can discern the thoughts of the Dead, or presume the dooms of Mandos?"3

"Therefore it was said: 'Who among the Living can presume the dooms of Mandos?

Upon this the Eldar comment: 'Innocence or guilt in the matter of death is spoken of, because to be in any way culpable in incurring this evil (whether by forcing others to slay one in their defence against unjust violence, or by foolhardiness or the making good of rash vaunts, or by slaying oneself or wilfully withdrawing the fea from the body) is held a fault. Or at the least, the withdrawal from life is held a good reason, unless the will of the fea be changed, for the fea to remain among the Dead and not to return. As for guilt in other matters little is known of the dealings of Mandos with the Dead. For several reasons: Because those who have done great evil (who are few) do not return. Because those who have been under the correction of Mandos will not speak of it, and indeed, being healed, remember little of it; for they have returned to their natural courses."

As the above quotes tell us, the Valar have the ruling authority; and 'sins' will be looked upon when the fa (spirit) goes to the Halls of Mandos. Therefore, we can easily confirm that the Valar alone hold the right to change, enforce and rebuke the laws; and that the severity of them, and the possibility for eternal lingering in the Halls of Mandos (not a happy place), would deter any Elf from breaking them.

The severity of what occurred with Finw, when he took a second wife (and the only Elf to do so in Tolkien Literature), is reason enough not to re-marry; for his new family caused strife that led to the kinslayings.

Thus, the Valar alone have the right to judge the Eldar, and the Doom of Mandos falls upon any that break the laws; yet they would be so deterred by the thought of said doom, that few would break it willingly, if none at all. Since the Valar alone hold the authority, then they alone the Elves would answer to. Think of it like a child answering to his parents, and nobody else.

~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

~

On Marriage and Sexuality

As stated above; Tolkien is unlikely to have put sexual themes into his work due to the social norm at the time. As I said before, I do not personally wish to endorse roleplaying Elves (or any characters) with either a homosexual or racial-discriminate nature. The nature of this guide is to show the world represented in the book; and guide people using what we see the modern world has no real place in the fantasy land.

In the books, Elves are perceived as heterosexual (Male-female pairings); the opposite possibly believed because of the appearance of androgyny in the Elven race. Tolkien stated that there is not much difference between male and female Elves; going on to further say that prominent features only occur in later life (such as females during pregnancy). Men-folk are facially-bald by nature until the later life cycle (there are three, as Tolkien states, the third being the eldest); Crdan being famous for his beard.

There are no arranged marriages in the Middle-earth universe. Couples usually find themselves as young as fifty, but often after the coming of age. Marriage in general is one of the happiest moments of an Elf's life; it being the union of two lovers for all time, that not even death could part. All affection for the participants, such as kissing and cuddling, is special and intimate. As a rule, and set in the Laws and Customs of the Eldar; Elves marry once. The only exception to this was Finw; who's wife lay down in Valinor and passed silently to the Halls of Mandos forever, not willing to exit them. Finw went on to marry again, but it caused bitterness within his family; that eventually led to his son, Fanor, threatening his other son, Fingolfin.

The act of marriage begins with engagement. After courting for some time; the Elves meet together, either at a feast of honour or alone, to proclaim their love for one another. They give to each other Silver Rings, speaking the words: Le annon gorf gelebren hen a veleth nn, a gweston le bestad (I give you this silver ring with my love, and I promise to marry you), and are traditionally betrothed for a year or so before another feast is held and the two are married proper. If, during the time of betrothal, the couple wish to separate; then they return (and melt) the silver rings before an audience, speaking the words: Le ad-annon gorf hen; le -vestathon (I return this ring to you; I will not marry you/there will be no marriage). At the marriage ceremony, which is in itself not required but a formality, the couples, whilst exchanging their Silver Rings for those of Gold, speak the words: Le annon gorf gelebren ln a gorf valthen a veleth uireb nn, a le beston. Le eston _____ (I give you your silver ring and a gold ring with my eternal love, and I marry you. I name you "a new Lore Name"). Traditionally, the 'lore name' is that which the person will be known as to each other, a private name so to speak. After the ceremony/party, if there is one, the couple retire to their quarters and have sex.

Tolkien, as a Catholic, was very formal about sexual pairings. He did not like the idea of sex without marriage, hence we can see why his characters in the novels portray this loyalty to their author. Sex is, to Elves, the highest point of intimacy; the way for procreation and love. It is not talked of by any other person outside the marriage, for fear of embarresment or ridicule. The sacred act happens on the night of marriage, then afterwards every few centuries or so; but in time, the libido fades and Elves focus themselves on other things like the raising of children or craft. Rape, the term here meaning the forced use of sex on an unwilling participant, causes death with any Elf involved in the act; as the sorrow of the body and spirit would be too much to bear.

"As for the begetting and bearing of children: a year passes between the begetting and the birth of an elf-child, so that the days of both are the same or nearly so, and it is the day of begetting that is remembered year by year. For the most part these days come in the Spring. It might be thought that, since the Eldar do not (as Men deem) grow old in body, they may bring forth children at any time in the ages of their lives. But this is not so. For the Eldar do indeed grow older, even if slowly: the limit of their lives is the life of Arda, which though long beyond the reckoning of Men is not endless, and ages also. Moreover their body and spirit are not separate but coherent. As the weight of the years, which all their changes of desire and thought, gathers upon the spirit of the Eldar, so do the impulses and moods of their bodies change. This the Eldar mean when they speak of their spirits consuming them; they say that ere Arda ends all the Eldalie on earth will have become as spirits invisible to mortal eyes, unless they will to be seen by some among Men into whose minds they may enter directly.

Also, the Eldar say that in begetting, and still more in the bearing of children, greater share and strength of their being, in mind and in body, goes forth than in the making of mortal children. For these reasons it came to pass that the Eldar brought forth few children; and also that their time of generation was in their youth or earlier life, unless strange and hard fates befell them. But at whatever age they married, their children were born within a short space of years after their wedding. For with regard to generation the power and the will are not among the Eldar distinguishable. Doubtless they would retain for many ages the power of generation, if the will and desire were not satisfied; but with the exercies of the power the deisre soon ceases, and the mind tunrs to other things. The union of love is indeed to them great delight and joy, and the 'days of the children', as they call them, remain in their memory as the most merry in life; but they have many other powers of body and of mind which their nature urges them to fulfil.
"5

The Eldar wedded for the most part in their youth and soon after their fiftieth year. They had few children, but these were very dear to them. Their families, or houses, were held together by love and a deep feeling for kinship in mind and body; and the children needed little governing or teaching. There were seldom more than four children in any house, and the number grew less as ages passed; but even in days of old, while the Eldar were still few and eager to increase their kind, Feanor was renowned as the father of seven sons, and the histories record none that surpassed him.6

Within the world of Lord of the Rings: Online, players might be daunted by a commitment to another player in roleplay. I, for example, enjoy the ability to show my love for another person; friend or lover. Though childbirth is, in game mechanics, impossible; the act of marriage is not. 3-4 months in the 'real world' pass for a typical year in-game; therefore times are significantly reduced for us players. I must also point out, that if two players wish to roleplay the conception of the child; that they do so according with the law Lord of the Rings: Online plays host to younger members of the world, so be courteous.
~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Old 21-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

~

On Death

Whenever an Elf dies, through either grief or battle, their body rots in the physical world and their spirit flies with great speed to the Halls of Mandos (this is not the only way an Elf can get to Valinor. If they linger in Middle-earth, they can take the Ships across the Straight Road, to the Blessed Realm), where they will endure some time before being released to wander Valinor for the rest of their existence. Elves can choose whether to remain in the Halls, or to wander; an example being the first wife of Finw. Another interesting fact is that Tolkien did mention reincarnation, to an extent; they would only be of blood relation to their previous bodies, and they would hold no memory of their past life. However, he did not dwell long on this subject; so we can assume he did not intend it as a viable possibility after death.

No Elf is permitted to return to Middle-earth after death. The only debatable case, and a unique one at that, is of Glorfindel of Gondolin; who was granted special permission to return and linger until the end of the War of the Ring.

Some people might ask What is it that really kills an Elf?. Wounds that might be fatal to a mortal can usually fail to slay an Elf, and most wounds would heal within days instead of weeks. The loss of limbs, however, is not repairable; and the Elf must then choose to stay in Middle-earth or return to Valinor, where we can assume their bodies are made whole again. Though immune to disease, poisons can maim and slay Elves; which is why the Orcs of Sauron and Morgoth favour it on their weapons.

Referring back to the topic of 'Lingerers'; this only occurred after the War of the Ring, therefore proceeding into the Fourth Age and beyond.

Another debatable topic is the fates of Elves who have, like the sons of Fanor, slain other Elves or broken an Oath to Eru Illvitar. It is clear, from the quotes below, that those who committed the act feared punishment for what they have done; speaking of an 'everlasting darkness', possibly the Void in which Morgoth resides.

"Who can tell to what dreadful doom we shall come, if we disobey the Powers in their own land, or purpose ever to bring war again into their holy realm?"7

"But how shall our voices reach...beyond the Circles of the World? ...we swore in our madness, and called the Everlasting Darkness upon us, is it not made void?"8

While the topic of 'sin' isn't discussed much, we can assume that if a sin (such as a kinslaying, or taking of a life in general (good or evil)), will lengthen the time an Elf spends in Mandos. This is to cleanse the spirit, to make it clean for Valinor.

It may also seem, to some, that once an Elf dies; their spirit is immediately sent to Mandos. Tis might be the case, yet when we read of the demise of Fanor; we learn that the spirit undergoes a journey of it's own.

"Then he died; but he had neither burial nor tomb, for so fiery was his spirit that as it sped his body fell to ash, and was borne away like smoke; and his likeness has never again appeared in Arda, neither has his spirit left the Halls of Mandos. Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grievous woe."9

His spirit is described as exiting his body, and floating like smoke on the wind. Presumably, this is a factor that allowed Morgoth to capture Elven souls; to twist them to that of the Orc. While this is not a definite fact, we can agree that the journey of the spirit to Mandos, is complicated; and not without it's own dangers.

~

Last edited by Andarne; 27-01-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Thread Closed