Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > Role-playing discussion forum

Role-playing discussion forum Discuss everything related to Role-playing. Planning threads, OOC threads, tutorials and general RP discussion go in here. Visit this forum first if you're new to Role-playing!

Thread Closed
Old 28-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb The roleplaying guidebook for beginners.

The Guide to Roleplay

''Thou seeks possessing the knowlage of roleplay, eh? Well, peasent, you certainly came to the right place, sit down, order a ale as theres a few details that need to be passed on to you, before thee can venture forth in to the great Online Middle Earth.''

Roleplaying, or otherwise know as 'RP'; roleplaying isen't a thing where you sit around a board or sit in your cellar with a hood on muttering spells, although some people may like to do that.

Roleplay is where you act being your character.

So, say i was a Knight, i would speak nobely, i would be well educated:

''Well met, Citizen - I assume thou has stopped me for a reason?''

Or for example, a common peasent in the Bree-lands:

''I'll be headin' down ta' the tavern f' nay.''

You character will most likely speak differently as it can be hard to keep that context up, but it doesen't have to be like that all the time, add it just in now and again, to remind the person your either simple, noble or a angry hobbit!

So now hopefuly you have the grasp of what roleplaying is, but it doesen't end there, there are guidelines and rules in Roleplay, so you don't annoy others.

In Character - IC; This is when you are playing as your character.

Out of Character - OOC; This is when you are not playing as your character, IE: ''LOL Man that was funny''. Since when do you say LOL in reallife instead of laughing? .. OOC is usually marked with ((Brackets)) or a OOC: I am talking OOC.

How should I speak? Well, consider the timezone and how others spoke. They where scared of new things and relyed heavily on a King to govern there lands. Unless you where wise to politics, consider the low amount of education, then your character could be lippy, but always know your place.

Running up to a guard and spitting on him would end your head on a pike in the olden times. Using shortcutted laungage can annoy others, 'plz' and 'y?' take time to make the effort to spell correclty and you will get a better reply, its not needed, you will often be taken more seriosly.

In OOC speak how ever you like. But rember, you don't have to follow the stupid-peasent-attitude, your character may be different! Although, please rember, not every character can be a hero or a famouse fighter.

You don't have to follow this set of speaking but I would consider it more realistic, just my opinion however.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practise your RP on the forums with posts, rember RP doesen't follow a script, if someone suddenly runs through and grabs you're money bag, react not with ((Wtf im ignoring that.))
The fact you don't know what way RP will take you, can be a good thing!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Rules and Guidelines.

'Power Emoting' - This is when you decide another persons fate. IE:

''Talvas slices Teskai's head of, before spinning around, deeply wounding the man behind him with the dagger.''

This gets you a quick passage to an ignore list. You have to use attempts so lets try that sentance again, giving the bandits a chance to react.

Me: ''Talvas lunges forward, attempting to slide his sword edge along the bandits neck with a roar of strength.''

Rper 2: -Teskai rolls over, dropping his weapon as he falls, no wounds luckily-

''Talvas then spins around to attack the man behind him, using his shield to try and bash him''

Rper 3: -Vesnon is bashed in the face, he drops his dagger to clutch it in pain-

See how that was more interesting? Much more imagination was used.

--

'God Modding' - This is basicly making your character some sort of god. This is a big no-no, as other players would not of had the chance to become a powerful character aswell, or they are working strongly towards that status.

''Talvas shoots lightning from his sword, before running at the speed of light to turn his foe into a pile of ash with a flame ball.''

Eh, you'd be rather annoyed if that happend to you, woulden't you?

Also, running around yelling around the city can destroy RP if you where searching for someone. Ask Citizens around, or guards. Or, if your really in a hurry, look to see where they are by a friends list and head that way, simply act that its luck to meet the person your looking for.

Examples:

You: ''Exscuse me sir hav--''
Citizen: ''Get lost, im not a charity!''

-You growl and walk onwards-

You: ''Exscuse me, sir, have you seen a man in a brown cloak, rather quite?''
Guard: ''Why, yes i have Citizen, i saw him heading into a Church''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can then search for the person.

Don't be to quick to take the short route, you could be avoiding fun RP! And also try to walk around, as you don't see the whole town running from place to place, or jumping randomly because there bored. Hehe.

I hope this has cleared up alot. Feel free to add more rules, but keep in mind this is for a RP beginner, theres plenty more to learn but this should cover the basics!

---

There is SO much more in roleplaying, but this is the basic stuff all you need to know, so now you have the grasp, get out there and ROLEPLAY!

Good luck out there, whom ever you choose to be!

Last edited by Sir Talvas; 06-12-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old 28-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very good, It was even worth ME reading it....learnt a bit from it.

Old 28-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default More than one dimensional

When you roleplay you are playing the role of a character.
Make a persona for your character, not a sterotype.

Heros are people who accomplish a great feats.
Acting Heroicly is about overcoming great hardships to accomplish something.

When was the last time you read a story about a prince, who has been raised to fight dragons. One day one flies into the kingdom. So he gathers his well trained men, and using skills and abilities honed thru contless battles, wins on the first try.
Yeah, he's a hero, but so what?

Who's the biggest hero in Lotr? Gimli? Legolas? Sure they fought hordes of bad guys but look at Frodo. No training. No great breeding or skill. He struggles, tries, fails, doubts himself, perservers.

Include some faults, and failings with your character. Try to make him or her interesting.
How about and Elf with a wood allergy. He was cast out and had to live with dwarves and can only fight with metal armor and weapons.

Old 28-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

A good read, though imo more accurate and usable in for example MUDs rather than mmo's, as combat goes way too fast to type anything and make sense of it (the example you gave would be implausible.)

Unless the combat speed really is that slow... :-p

ah well, at least the RP'ers will be happy

Roar

Old 28-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats a good roleplayer right there. *Points at Isonax*.

Realisticly, story-tale heroes in life, are rare, if not hardly exist at all. If you do try to sucseed amongst a hard quest, and something supprising happens, make it happen to your character aswell.

I've seen so many WoW players run to a quest giver, such as Onyxia,
( 'big dragon by the way' ) and they just carry on through there lifes. No massive cheer or any reaction from other players.

Yeah, ok, the quest repeated itself, and sometimes people where to jealouse to give credit where due. If there is such a quest, where a NPC yells out someones name, add to the scenario that they HAVE comtleted this amazing quest that no-one else could.

IE: ''/yell Hurrah! Hail to the Heroes of Gondor, Hail Zanziaiz! Hail Zanziaiz!''

--

Everyone gets there spot in the spotlight eventually.

Make your character face a hard time, as stated abouve, make it that they had to really really try to accomplish this feat, perhaps just escaping with there life? Perhaps escaping with a mark? A scar?

That all falls down to your wishes.

RP with NPCs can improve the roleplaying enviroment aswell, even if its by yourself. RP shoulden't go away if theres no-one around.

Last edited by Sir Talvas; 28-07-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Old 28-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

In responce to dwarfie, i meant emote battles, not actual battles themselfs as they emote themselfs out.

Example, in world of warcraft, /e is used to describe an emote you made yourself:

/e attempts to slice So and So's arm with his razor-sharp steel blade!

Not the actual battle.

Old 28-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Right, right... never been so hardcore in these things so i'm not sure. ^_^

*smile fades*'

DWARFIE? YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU... YOU... !

Roar

Old 28-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isanox
When you roleplay you are playing the role of a character.
Make a persona for your character, not a sterotype.
*nods* - this is all you need to do roleplaying. Ofcourse there are ways to bring some more "colour" into it, but it should be individual and not just following "rules".

Old 28-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

nor directly copying characters from anywhere. The first Gimli in-game, non-NPC then, will get a bash over the head with the backside of a broad barn.

Roar

Old 28-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rules for roleplaying? Eep, must have missed them! I know a few guidelines here and there help but rules?

Quote:
''Thou seeks possessing the knowlage of roleplay, eh? Well, peasent, you certainly came to the right place, sit down, order a ale as theres a few details that need to be passed on to you, before thee can venture forth in to the great Online Middle Earth.''
One possible guideline would be "You don't have to use "Ye Olde Englishe" to roleplay. Putting a thee and a thou into every sentence really doesn't help, especially when you get it wrong ("Thou dost seek to possess the knowledge of roleplay?" would be a tad more accurate perhaps?). To be honest, unless you are very good at it, avoid it, by the time you type it all out the story would have moved on!

A couple more guidelines?

Tolerance. Not everyone has the same experience at roleplay so try not to judge those that make a few mistakes too harshly, they could just be starting out and to give them a hard time may put them off for good.

Scripting. Roleplaying is not the same as acting. It is all about reacting as you feel your character should. If you are doing an event and someone comes along and does something unexpected, don't ignore it because it doesn't fit in with your script, improvise and encourage involvement. (This is also known as the first rule of GMing, A scenario never survives contact with your players.)

Background. Don't get too hung up about it. You really don't need a 20 page dossier on what your character has done before he came into the game world, detailing his life from birth to death. Sometimes just a vague idea of what the character will be like is a good start (hmm, cynical mercenary, covers up fear with bravado) and then let his background and character be shaped more from experience.

Playstyle. Not every roleplayer plays the same as you. Some will be "hardcore" (even after 17 years of roleplaying I have no idea what a "hardcore" roleplayer is, I just keep thinking of roleplaying Ron Jeremy for some reason!) some will be "lite" roleplayers. There is room on the servers for everyone. At the end of the day if you don't like how someone plays, avoid them, telling them at length why rarely helps!

Fun. It is a game after all so roleplay to have fun.

Sorry if I come across as a bit harsh but many years of tabletop, freeform and MMO roleplay has shown me that we roleplayers have a strong tendancy towards being cliquey and not being overly tolerant of other people's playstyles (one more "Why Vampire is real roleplaying and DnD isnt" argument at a con and blood will flow...)!

Thread Closed