Go Back   LOTROcommunity Forum > LOTRO Classes > Rune-keeper

Rune-keeper For discussion relating to the Rune-keeper class

Thread Closed
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #951 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca >
Such a class as the Rune-Keeper was not wanted by the community. Rather the opposite.
Community = hunters?
I know that a lot of hunters did not want DPS competition as they were so used to their position of single target DPS king. I really don't understand all the fuss and hate towards RKs presented by some. Just saying that RK's are lorebreakers and not being able to give real arguments is a bit lame and tells me there are other, hidden reasons.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #952 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabin >
There is more 'magic' in the world of Middle Earth than many people realise.

It was not just the Istari who utilised it. Things not done by Gandalf include:
  • Beren and Luthien shapechanged,
  • The Witch King is described as a 'Dark Sorceror',
  • Galdriel uses her 'mirror',
  • Bilbo meets talking beasts and a talking purse,
  • Finrod used spells to hide his identity,
  • Melian created a magical barrier,
  • Sauron creates a phantom illusion,
  • Aragorn and Glorfindel magically assess Frodo's injury,
  • the Old Took had magic diamond studs,
  • Galdriel doles out magical gifts,
  • magical doors (Moria + Mirkwood elf halls),
  • moon-runes on Thorin's map,
  • Luthien's magic lulls Carcharoth,
  • Beorn is a shape-changer,
  • the dwarves put 'many spells' over their hidden treasure
etc.

Were Tolkien alive today, I'm sure he would have developed even more lore for us to 'play' with.

Interesting theme to think about.

Indeed LotR with no magic wouldn't be LotR. In Tolkien's books we find different levels of magic, and we must remember the red book was written by hobbits, so oliphants and fireworks for instance are described as enormous beasts from the south (normal elephants), or beutiful lights forming shapes like golden trees or dragons (ask someone who hasn't seen fireworks for his opinion the first time he sees them).

Anyway, we can talk about different levels of magic based even on the age of the tales or legends related. I will give an example of the different levels from lesser-magic (or missunderstood science) to high-magic:

- Living beings: Wargs (wolfs), Hobbits (short people), dwarfs (idem), elfs, orcs, trolls, ents, balrogs, dragons...
- Magic items: fireworks (shown as magical in the books), enchanted clothes (or not enchanted but the result of lyric), enchanted weapons (or mighty handed), mythril (similar to aluminium in middle age), athelas and other magical plants (magical if you dont believe a plant can heal you), the doors of moria, the flask/mirror of galadriel, the water of ents, the palantirs, the rings of Sauron... Lots of magic we dont know when or how it was done.
- Magic created "in the moment": These are the spells, and this is what we are discussing. If you read carefully the book and you think through a hobbit's brain (simple and comfort-linking people that spent all their lives growing plants and animals in their farms), maybe you can see Gandalf's magic was not real "magic", i mean, things that cant be done with a little advanced science. We must remember the famous words by Arthur C. Clarke: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
When Gandalf locks magically the door when scaping the orcs in Moria, this is not seen by the group, he could use some simple mechanic tricks as a wedge. When he lights in the darkness with his staff, well, today light is very simply used by human, not only electric light, even in nature you can find animals and plants who produce light, and light sources from burning or warm some materials up...
The highest power of gandalf and saruman himself was speaking and frighten his enemies.

Then we go till the next level: Valar and Maiar:
Mages are maiar, though as i have told, Gandalf as a maiar was not very magical. Sauron or Melian were maiar too. Valar are even more magical. High elves and dwarves created some of the magical objects i told before...
I'm running out of time and i must finish this post.

In synthesis, the lord of the rings is a book of FANTASY, as long as you want to look. You can explain some things and other dont, but that's fantasy. You can pull or push one way or another, but we must all concede it's FANTASY.

And fantasy is reality-breaking.

Cheers.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #953 (permalink)

I was scrolling through forum to find some suggestions about how to build my RK and it happened to read this thread. My though on this with RK is the same as the LM. LM is the Gandalf of LOTRO. This you can already see on his development, sword and staff, use of light damage and his ability to communicate with nature, non combat pets. So thinking like this is not that bad to create a RK class. The idea about the races I think also has to do with the nature of it's of them. Why they didn't made a LM for the hobbits? Hobbits are not so popular about magic. Is just improvisation the whole think trying to expand LOTR.

Lorhir EnGalad
Leader of the LEGION OF MIDDLE EARTH
(Recruitment is open)

Old 19-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #954 (permalink)

Hobbits are lorebreakers ffs when will you rp nerds realise this!

Canetroll

Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #955 (permalink)

has there been a group who tried 12rks in BG?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #956 (permalink)

I don't think anyone tried that one Ausy, though it would be fun if we could try it, preety difficult though i guess to achieve something....

Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #957 (permalink)

Hehe, that won't happen for a couple of levels, at least.

I've tried tanking Durchest a few times, unwillingly I might add. Let's just say we didn't part as friends.

Old 18-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #958 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabin >
There is more 'magic' in the world of Middle Earth than many people realise.

It was not just the Istari who utilised it. Things not done by Gandalf include:
  • Beren and Luthien shapechanged,
  • The Witch King is described as a 'Dark Sorceror',
  • Galdriel uses her 'mirror',
  • Bilbo meets talking beasts and a talking purse,
  • Finrod used spells to hide his identity,
  • Melian created a magical barrier,
  • Sauron creates a phantom illusion,
  • Aragorn and Glorfindel magically assess Frodo's injury,
  • the Old Took had magic diamond studs,
  • Galdriel doles out magical gifts,
  • magical doors (Moria + Mirkwood elf halls),
  • moon-runes on Thorin's map,
  • Luthien's magic lulls Carcharoth,
  • Beorn is a shape-changer,
  • the dwarves put 'many spells' over their hidden treasure
etc.

Were Tolkien alive today, I'm sure he would have developed even more lore for us to 'play' with.
Which leads me to the conclusion that ok say one wanted to keeping the healing attunement abilities (indeed the whole attunement system) having given the rune-keeper the ability to shapeshift (not neccesarily to melee animals if you get what I mean) on the other side of the attunement rather then make it a portable storm spectacle machine would have been somewhat alot more appropiate to the lore.

Old 18-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #959 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkerrigandir View Post
has there been a group who tried 12rks in BG?
A friend of me did all the trash mobs from after twins and to the LT with 12 Lorebreakers Im sure he wanna try some bosses aswell.hehe

Old 27-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #960 (permalink)

Nice
With the stone now healing the entire raid everyone just need to trait to be able to put it down with any attunement I guess. With a tick per stone of about 60 morale per 3 sec that will be 720 morale for everyone every 3 sec. It's like a continuous Fellowship's Heart :P

Thread Closed